Free download and free trials#
You can download Mockups for Desktop for free. The application is fully functional for 7 days, but you’ll need a key in order to save your work after the evaluation period is over.
Our web app myBalsamiq and our plugins all come with a free trial period. See this article for more info.
You can also try the Mockups editor on the web here.
See below for information on:
- How to qualify for free Mockups for Desktop or plugin licenses
- Getting myBalsamiq free for classroom use
- Getting myBalsamiq free for one year for nonprofits
- Getting myBalsamiq free for open-source projects
- Getting myBalsamiq free for UX training
How to qualify for free Mockups for Desktop or plugin licenses#
We love donating our software to good people, we think it’s a whole lot of WIN!
Note: these instructions do not apply to myBalsamiq. Please see below for our myBalsamiq offers instead.
To apply for a free license for Mockups for Desktop or a plugin version of Mockups, you can do one of the following:
- If you are a do-gooder of any sort (nonprofit, charity, open source committer, you get the idea), email us with a short blurb and we’ll send you a license, FREE of charge.
- If you are willing to demo Mockups to an audience of at least 15 professionals (at a team meeting, user group, a conference, a BarCamp), email us your info and we’ll give you two licenses, one for you to keep and one to give away at the event, FREE of charge.
- If you are a usability professional, you might be interested in our free myBalsamiq for UX training program.
- If you received a community license from Atlassian for your Confluence and/or JIRA instance, email us your community license details, the Balsamiq product you'd like to use and the number of mockup editors on your team and we'll send you a license for you and your team.
If you don’t fit in any of the buckets above, you can use the demo on this site or the Desktop trial and use "Export…" to save your work manually. Or you can just buy a single-user license of Mockups for Desktop for $79.
IMPORTANT: due to the large volume of requests we receive, we cannot promise we’ll answer every email. We try our best, but please be understanding if you don’t hear back from us.
Getting myBalsamiq free for classroom use#
This program is designed for schools and universities which want to use Balsamiq Mockups in a classroom setting, to teach students about user interface design. Please read all the details below to see which tool you qualify for, and how instructors can apply here.
If you want to use Mockups in your classroom and your students are 13 or older, we’ll be happy to give you a myBalsamiq site to use, free of charge.
Because myBalsamiq is designed for group use, it’s perfect for classes. You as the site owner can create a project for each group of students and invite them to it.
Once invited, students will be able to create, edit and collaborate on mockups by using the in-browser editor. This removes the pain of installing Mockups for Desktop on lab machines and managing license keys.
More details can be found in our Using myBalsamiq in your Classroom guide.
Students: Once you are a member of your teacher's myBalsamiq site, you can buy a license for Mockups for Desktop for your own personal use at a discounted rate ($40/user instead of $79) by going to Site Settings > Desktop Licenses.
If you want to use Mockups in your classroom and your students are 12 or younger, we’ll be happy to give you an long-term extended trial key for Mockups for Desktop to use, free of charge.
If you are an instructor interested in this program, apply now. We'll be in touch!
A note for TAs: if you are a Teaching Assistant, we will make your site free through the end of June next year. If your time at the university extends beyond that, just send another request to email@example.com when you are notified that your site is about to expire and we'll extend it for your next class.
Getting myBalsamiq free for one year for nonprofits#
This program is designed for nonprofits and other do-gooders who are trying to make the world a better place.
Because myBalsamiq has fixed costs for us month after month, we cannot offer "free forever" licenses like we do for Mockups for Desktop licenses (see above).
Instead, we would be happy to extend your trial period for one full year, after which you will have to start paying in order to continue to use myBalsamiq.
Note: Academic institutions and government agencies are not generally included in this nonprofit program. We do offer some academic discounts for administrative use and have a separate program for classroom use.
Please follow these steps to apply:
- Sign up for myBalsamiq and confirm your email address (this is important).
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org including a your myBalsamiq subdomain, along with a short blurb about who you are and how you plan on using myBalsamiq to make the world a better place.
- That's it! If we approve your application (and we usually do), you'll see that your myBalsamiq trial period is over 360 days the next time you use it.
Getting myBalsamiq free for open source projects#
We're big fans of open source software, and want to support serious open source efforts as much as we can.
Because myBalsamiq has fixed costs for us month after month, we have to be a little more restrictive in who we give open-source access than we do with Mockups for Desktop (see above).
To apply for a free myBalsamiq site, your open source project must fulfill the following requirements:
- The project is licensed under a license approved by the Open Source Initiative.
- The project is alive and well and you can prove it (with an ohloh.net page for instance or some press mentions).
- Your open source project has a publicly accessible website.
- The project source code is available for download.
If you are a core committer to an open source project and interested in this program, please follow these steps to apply:
- Sign up for myBalsamiq and confirm your email address (this is important).
- Email email@example.com. Be sure to include the following information.We will email you back if we need any clarification.
- Your myBalsamiq subdomain:
- Your Name and title:
- Project Name:
- Project Home Page:
- Proof that your project is alive and well:
- Where we can download your source code:
- That's it! If we approve your application, you'll see that your myBalsamiq site is free the next time you use it. Give us a few days.
If for some reason your site is still not free as the trial period nears the end, please email firstname.lastname@example.org again.
Getting myBalsamiq free for UX training #
—Theresa Neil, UX Trainer and author, Designing Web Interfaces
Are you trying to rid the world of poor usability? We'd love to help you if we can.
- Are you a thought leader (teacher, speaker, author, etc.) who trains other professionals about usability, UI, UX, IA or web design?
- Have you secured a book deal and are writing the next great UX design book?
- Are you running a session, workshop, seminar or webinar at a conference or camp where attendees could benefit from hands-on wireframing experience?
If you answered yes above, we'd like to provide you with a free 30 day myBalsamiq account to use with your students. This could be used for in-class exercises or simply as an example of wireframing tools that your students might look at.
The UX training program is only open to professionals who teach, or train groups of other people at training events about usability, UX, or web design using Mockups to demonstrate low-fidelity wireframing and improve the usability of web sites and software.
We allow trainers to use myBalsamiq for training sessions for a 30 day period. This plan requires an internet connection for the teacher and students. You will be able to invite your trainees to any of the projects you create on the site, in order to give them permission to create and edit mockups, as well as comment on mockups that you or other students post.
To apply, sign up for a 30 day trial myBalsamiq site when you're ready.
Please note: Training events longer than 30 days require selecting a paid plan. If you need a plan greater than 30 days, please contact us.