A Thriving User Community #
Adopting Balsamiq Mockups means joining a growing community of programmers, designers, product managers and usability experts who are passionate about creating software and web sites that delight users every day.
This page highlights some community tools and websites which might be useful to you. We are not affiliated with the makers of the products below unless noted.
More UI Controls #
- MockupsToGo is a user-contributed collection of ready-to-use UI components and design patterns built using Balsamiq Mockups. New patterns are added all the time - we hope you'll want to contribute as well!
- Mock4U is a set of UML stencils for Balsamiq Mockups.
- Blackboard Learn Symbols is a series of assets to help design user interfaces for custom Blackboard Learn (9.0 and 9.1) extensions.
- Charts for Mockups is a library of 18 additional Graph & Chart Symbols for Balsamiq Mockups.
- Bootstrap and UX Deliverable Templates are included in our tutorial on creating clonable project templates.
- Landing Pages Templates by Good UI provides a set of templates for conversion-focussed landing pages. The first sample is free.
- Magento Wireframes is a set of templates for desktop and mobile layouts for Magento created by NuBlue.
- Windows Store Apps Design Library provides templates and controls designed to help you sketch a design for a Windows Store app. Made by Microsoft.
- Sharepoint Templates by Matthew Hughes from Flucidity.
Custom Icon Packs #
Icons that are ready to drop into Assets using our icon_ file naming convention:
- Hand Drawn Icons
- Google Material Design icons, by Jan Stawarczyk
- Doodlekit Icons
Font Awesome Icons(Font Awesome is now included with Balsamiq Mockups 3!)
Instructions on how to use custom icon packs are here.
User Testing Your Mockups #
Prototypes made with myBalsamiq can be user-tested with the following tools:
- User Testing your myBalsamiq Prototypes with UsersThink
- User Testing your myBalsamiq Prototypes with UserTesting.com
- How to test your myBalsamiq prototypes with Loop11
- User Testing your myBalsamiq wireframes with Usabilla
- User Testing your myBalsamiq Prototypes with Kupima
- User Testing your myBalsamiq Prototypes with UserZoom
- Give Mockup presentations on your iPad/iPhone with Link Viewer (also works with Mockups for Desktop)
- Learn more...
You can also test mockups created with any version of Mockups using the tool below:
More Community! #
- UX Apprentice is a resource for people new to User Experience Design.
- Questions on the Balsamiq forums always get answered quickly and respectfully and new features are designed collaboratively and in the open. Take a look!
- Twitter loves us, and we love it back! You can follow @balsamiq to keep up with what we're doing or simply search Twitter for "balsamiq" and see what people think about us.
- Become a fan of Balsamiq Mockups on Facebook and connect with other Mockups lovers out there! Learn more...
- We are proud to sponsor the best events, blogs and websites related to UX, IA and startups. It's just our way to help our community flourish. Learn more...
- Free myBalsamiq for UX Training. If you are a usability professional, you might be interested in our Free myBalsamiq for UX Training program. Learn more...
Other Products That Work With Mockups (version 2)#
- Frontify, a web app for creating specifications, light prototypes, and style guides from your Mockups PNG files and myBalsamiq prototypes.
- Flairbuilder, a prototyping tool that imports BMML
- MockGen converts web pages to Balsamiq mockups
- iMockups is an iPad application that exports to BMML. An iPad application is on our roadmap too.
- If you work with SWT, you'll like this open-source SWT to BMML importer
- LiveMockups is an application that helps you show your Mockups prototypes on an iPhone or iPad
- Wirify Pro is a bookmarklet which turns web pages into BMML mockups
- Mockups.me is an iPad, Android, Web and Desktop wireframing app that imports and exports BMML files
- mockupsNode is a NodeJS module that reads, manipulates, and writes BMML files
- Mockups Strings Extractor is a Python script to extract text strings out of Balsamiq Mockups files (Open Source!)
- Advanced Mockup Strings Extractor is a script to extract Mockups text into XML readable by translation memory systems
- Excel Calendar Tool for Balsamiq is an Excel file that allows you to easily generate Balsamiq Mockups markup for a calendar showing a month (or two) that you specify
- Table Editor is an online tool for entering tabular data that you can export to Balsamiq Mockups-formatted text
- ReqWriter Pro generates product requirement documents from Balsamiq Mockups files
- SpeedWapp imports BMML files to their dynamic web page builder
Exporting Your Mockups To Code (version 2)#
- to HTML/CSS: PHP Mockup to HTML exporter (open-source)
- to HTML/CSS: nedeco converter (freeware)
- to HTML/JS or GWT: Reify transforms mockups into SmartClient or Smart GWT applications (commercial, blog post intro)
- to HTML/CSS/JS: try Napkee (blog post intro)
- to PNGs: try this set of command-line scripts or this Ruby script to generate mockup images in batches
- to a 3-tier application: try the WebORB Exporter
- to a live application using MS Word: try SoftwareServant (blog post intro)
- to XAML: learn about the MockupToXaml project (open-source)
Join us! #
Do you know of any other Mockups-related tool or website out there, or are you building one? Get in touch! We'd love to help you in any way we can!