If you want to use symbols in your site, there are 2 ways to create them: uploading a symbols library file from the desktop, or creating them when you're editing a project on the site.
First, make sure you read and understand the introduction to Symbols in general here.
Creating or Uploading Symbols Libraries #
To create a Symbols library within myBalsamiq
- Open an editor from any project.
- Select the menu Project > New Symbol Library to open the dialog below.
- In the dialog, select either Project Assets to create a symbol library for the current project, or Site Assets to create a symbol library that can be used by any project.
- The editor will open up to the new Symbol Library, a Mockup file that you can use to create groups that will then show up as symbols in Project or Site assets.
To upload a project with symbols created on the Desktop
- Create a project with Mockups that uses Symbols.
- Zip up your project and upload the whole project. You can then move to myBalsamiq to edit things if you need to.
- Your Symbols library should now show up in the Assets of the project you uploaded.
To upload a Symbols library created on the Desktop
- Create your Symbols library file. Make sure your groups are named or they won't show up as Symbols.
- Click the Assets link in the header on any view, and upload the file to either Project Assets to create a symbol library for the current project or Site Assets to create a symbol library that can be used by any project. (Step-by-step instructions available in the following article: How to Use an Existing File as a Symbol in myBalsamiq)
When editing a Mockup, select the Project Assets or Site Assets tab in the UI Library and drag and drop your symbol into your mockup.
Editing a Symbol Source #
You can select the symbol library in the Project Browser on the right, make your edits and save the symbol library.
The Symbol Libraries tab contains sub-tabs for Project or Site Asset Symbols.