Oops, you caught us at a bad time! :(
Balsamiq Mockups 3 for Desktop, at the moment, uses a different file format than Mockups for Confluence and Mockups for JIRA.
We are working hard to change this, bringing all the v.3 goodness to our Atlassian plugins as well. We hope to release new versions by Atlassian Summit 2015.
Because of the differences in features between Desktop and the Atlassian plugins right now, we don't recommend going from one to the other, as it might be painful. Instead, if you started on Desktop, perhaps you can upload the BMPR to Confluence or JIRA instead and have others download Mockups for Desktop (which can be used for free as a viewer even after the 30-day trial expires), or export to an interactive PDF from Mockups for Desktop and attach that to Confluence or JIRA.
If you're feeling brave and want to try and migrate the data, here's how do to it:
- Open the project in Mockups 3 for Desktop and export it to a ZIP file using Project > Export > Project to BMMLs ZIP
- Expand the ZIP file to find the BMML files.
- For each mockup you want to import, do the following:
- Open a BMML in your favorite text editor (for example Text Edit on Mac or Notepad on Windows)
- Select all the text and copy it to your clipboard (CTRL+C)
- Create a new mockup in Mockups for Confluence or Mockups for JIRA and use Mockup > Import Mockup XML.
- Paste (CTRL+V) and hit Import.
- Fix any broken image by uploading the image from the ZIP (they'll be in the assets folder)
- Note that some icons might break as well, as the plugins have a smaller set of icons than Balsamiq 3 for Desktop
- Symbols are not supported in Mockups for Confluence or Mockups for JIRA yet, so you might have to recreate those as well.
We know this is a bit of an arduous process right now. We promise it will be better soon!
Can I copy and paste between the desktop and plugin version?#
Yes! Er, well, something like that...
Let's say that you have both Mockups for Desktop (version 2) and a plugin version open and you want to copy a specific control or set of controls from Mockups for Desktop into a plugin version.
It would be great to just copy and paste, right? Well, there is a limitation in Adobe Flash that prevents copying from outside the browser into a Flash application (it's a security thing), however, you can do essentially the same thing by performing the following steps:
- Select the control(s) you want to copy in Mockups for Desktop and copy them (using CTRL/CMD + C or "Edit > Copy" in the menu)
- Switch to the plugin version (Confluence, JIRA, etc.) and go to "Import Mockup XML…" from the Mockup menu
- Use CTRL/CMD + V or "Paste" from the right-click menu to paste in the mockup XML that was copied from Mockups for Desktop
- Click the "Import" button in the dialog.
You should now see the control(s) from Mockups for Desktop in your plugin version.
Can I download mockups created in my Atlassian plugin version for use with Mockups for Desktop?#
Most of the products we integrate with make it clear where to find the mockup (.bmml) files. To download these files, just right-click on the link to the .bmml file and select "save link as…" (or whatever terminology your browser uses).
However, Confluence users might find it a little tricky to locate the mockup files to download. To find them, go to the page attachments by clicking "Tools > Attachments". Here, you will see two files for each mockup, one PNG image and one .bmml file. You can download the .bmml file from this list.