We have received occasional reports from people trying to install Balsamiq Mockups getting an error stating “Sorry, an error has occurred. The application could not be installed because the installer file is damaged. Try obtaining a new installer file from the application author.” Unfortunately, the error text is quite misleading - getting this error almost never means the file is actually damaged.
If you get the error, try the following steps:
- First uninstall the application if it is already installed
- Make sure the application folder does not exist (in, for example, c:\Program Files or c:\Program Files (x86)). If it does exist, delete it.
- Empty the Trash (Mac OS) or Recycle Bin (Windows)
- Check that your computer's system clock is correct. Correct the date and time if it not current.
- Install the latest version of the Adobe AIR runtime (download from http://get.adobe.com/air)
- Try installing Balsamiq Mockups again
- If you get the error again, try installing the cross-platform version (MockupsForDesktop.air) from http://balsamiq.com/download, on the lower half of the page.
If none of these work for you, feel free to contact us if you have any details you might think would help us figure out what is going wrong. Or, if you find another solution, please let us know and we’ll add it so other users don’t have to go through the same trouble in the future.